‘Tis the cookie baking season and if you like sweet and savory flavors, you’ll enjoy this Smoky Gingersnap Cookies recipe using fresh ginger and The Spice Lab’s Hickory Smoked Sea Salt from The Spice Lab. These two key ingredients give the gingersnaps a nice spicy bite.
Why did I add the Hickory Smoked Sea Salt? I received a sample from The Spice Lab along with some delicious seasonings from their new Old Florida Spice Company line. Stay tuned for a separate post on some of those yummy seasonings. Craving gingersnaps, I found and modified a Cooking Light recipe I found on MyRecipes.com.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ Tablespoons fresh grated ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon Hickory Smoked Sea Salt from The Spice Lab
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
7 Tablespoons butter, softened
¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
2 Tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used my homemade vanilla extract made with spiced rum but you can make it with a variety of alcohol)
1 large egg
Preheat oven to 350°
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt and Hickory Smoked Sea Salt in a bowl.
- Place ¾ cup granulated sugar, butter, brown sugar and ginger in a large bowl.
- With a mixer, beat at medium speed until well-blended.
- Add honey, vanilla, and egg and beat well.
- Gradually add the flour mixture, beating at low speed until well-blended.
- Cover dough and freeze until firm (about an hour).
- With your hands, shape the dough into 1-inch balls (about 24).
- Roll the balls in ¼ cup granulated sugar and place 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 13 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool for 3 minutes on pans.
- Remove from the baking sheet and cool on a wire rack.