Off to Star Wars Celebration V in Orlando!
opens IMAGE file [Cue music, scroll text.] I’m heading to Orlando tomorrow to attend opens in a new windowStar Wars Celebration V.What is SWCV? It’s basically an official Star Wars convention and lucky me. Beauty of living in Florida is access to groovy events such as a Star Wars convention!
I’m not thinking Star Wars Celebration V will be a life-altering experience but something fun. I told my boss I was attending and she asked if I was a big fan. I’m a fan. I loved it during the 1970s and 80s but never got into the new Star Wars stuff. Call me old school but I like Luke, Princess Leia, Han Solo and Yoda.
What do I expect from this event?
1. Craziness with Boatloads of People. I’m talking 30,000+ attendees (I’ve seen estimates of 35,000). I’m not a fan of crowds so hope I can tolerate this.
2. Lack of Sleep. My plan is to be at the Convention Center by 4 a.m. Saturday so I can grab admission to opens in a new windowThe Main Event with George Lucas. Doors open at 6 a.m., convention starts at 10 a.m. and The Main Event’s at 11 a.m. Saturday’s party runs ’til 1 a.m. Whew!
3. Nostalgia. Carrie Fisher. Mark Hamill. Peter Mayhew. Anthony Daniels. Yup, these are some of the names attending Star Wars Celebration V and seeing them in person will probably bring a flood of happy memories. I remember writing scripts and stories carrying on the Star Wars story. I collected Star Wars trading cards and action figures. Seeing those who inspired me will be something else.
4. Amazement. All sorts of Star Wars artists will be in attendance, they are the ones who brought and continue to bring Star Wars to life and inspire imagination.
5. Overwhelmed. There is so much going on with seminars, the Hoth Ice Bar, opens in a new windowStar Wars Speed Dating, exhibits, costume contests and the Saturday night party, opens in a new windowThe Last Tour to Endor at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. I’m concerned I won’t be able to see everything. I’ve downloaded the free Star Wars Celebration V iPhone app and hope that’ll keep me somewhat organized. Should I stay and explore on Sunday?
And yes, I’m attending this alone and I definitely won’t be lonely.