“You’re traveling alone? Aren’t you lonely?” I hear this countless times while traveling solo and it’s always in a tone of amazement. I simply reply with a smile and, “I’m traveling alone, not lonely.”
Howdy! I’m Jennifer Huber (additional pen name: JA Huber) and I’m just your average forty-something-year-old gal living life solo. It wasn’t always that way but as life takes its twists and turns, I’ve found myself navigating this world alone. Rather than waiting for Mr. Right or finding a travel buddy to coordinate vacation schedules with, I’ve decided rather than giving up what I love – the adventure of travel – to embrace traveling solo.
Originally from Western New York in the suburbs of Buffalo, a hiking trail led me to a career path in tourism where I’ve worked for more than 20 years including 10 years with a park management company in Yellowstone, Death Valley and Everglades National Park. Business and personal trips have led me throughout the United States along with visits to Brazil, Canada and Europe. Curiosity led me to Afghanistan, Cuba and Japan to understand the cultures. I currently live in Southwest Florida and with easy access to the Southeastern U.S., I enjoy discovering the region’s quirky, outdoor and offbeat attractions.
I founded SoloTravelGirl.com because I found myself traveling alone, not lonely. My personal experiences are meant to inspire and empower other travelers to shed their fears and travel solo. I admit to still having uncomfortable butterflies when dining alone in a chichi restaurant or participating in an activity geared toward couples or families but I shrug off my insecurities and indulge in the moment of discovery and adventure.
Topics I blog about include Florida, domestic and international travel, culinary, nature-based/outdoor adventures, solo travel, girlfriend getaways and product reviews.
Social Media Accomplishments
- Top Baby Boomer Travel Blogs for Senior Adventurers, Southwest Discoveries, 2016
- Best Female Travel Blogs 2016: Top Influential Views, CreditDonkey.com, 2016
- 20 Baby Boomer Travel Bloggers Having More Fun than Millennials, TripAdvisor Vacation Rentals Blog, 2016
- Nominee, Sunshine Blog Award for Best Travel/Theme Park/Destination Blog in the State of Florida, Florida BlogCon, 2015
- One of the Best 29 Boomer Travel Blogs for 2015, Discover Corps., The Volunteer Traveler
- Nominee, Sunshine Blog Award for Best Travel Blog in the State of Florida, Florida BlogCon, 2014
- Best Solo Travel Blog, Nov. 2012, Luxury Travel Mavens
- Named a Top Solo Travel Blog by Go Overseas
- “50 to Follow for Live Tweets from the Inauguration” by GeekGirl.me.
- WE Magazine for Women included me in their “101 Inspiring Women Bloggers to Watch in 2010″
- Named one of the “50 Travel Twitterers You Should Follow” in December 2008 by Christopher Elliott
Media Mentions/Guest Posts
- SoloTravelGirl.com Blog Empowers Women Who Travel Alone, Florida Weekly (Charlotte County, Fla.), Feb. 25, 2016
- Here’s Traveler’s Handy Secret Weapon, Herald & Review (Decatur, Ill.) , Feb. 25, 2016
- Blogger tips: Advice for Solo Women Travelers, Orbitz, Oct. 27, 2015
- Cyber Summer Hoping to Attract Florida Travelers, SNN, Sarasota, Fla., June 17, 2015
- Summer Travel Apps & Websites, WFLA, Tampa, Fla., May 24, 2014
- Tips to Protect Data and Dollars from Thieves, Los Angeles Times, April 11, 2014
- Go Green for Earth Day: Green Tips from Bloggers, American Standard, Responsible Living Blog, April 19, 2013
- 5 Tips for Experiencing Twilight in Forks, Washington, Film & Travel, April 16, 2013
- Spring Training Reader Tips
- 5 Can’t Miss Places to Visit in Punta Gorda, Florida, GotSaga.com
- 21 Girl Trips You Absolutely Love – and Deals to Match, BudgetTravel.com, Feb. 2, 2012
- Solo Travel Advice for Boomer Women, My Itchy Travel Feet, Aug. 19, 2012
- Suncoast Resident to Experience Endeavour Launch, Sarasota Patch, April 28, 2011
- BlogHer Conference: A networking guide for new bloggers, SheKnows, July 27, 2011
- In the News, Dec. 2010, Connecting Solo Travel Network, Dec. 2010
Make no mistake, I don’t take myself seriously yet I hope followers of SoloTravelGirl.com are inspired to shed their fears and travel solo. Welcome and enjoy the ride!
Am I a Pioneer or Just Old?
I’ve been dabbling in social media since 2004 or 2005. Tom was my first social media friend (yes, I still have a MySpace account). My personal blog is QuirkyKitschGirl.com and while living in Tallahassee, I kept QKGTallahassee.com. And, I have contributed to Suite101, Yahoo! Contributor Network and currently contribute to the Southwest Florida Parrot. I was lead blogger for Resort Rentals International (Feb. 2009 – June 2011).
I’m available for blogging and social media projects. Drop me a line here!